Top 10 Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created by The Broke and the Bookish!
Top Ten Things I Like/Dislike When It Comes To Love In Books!
1) InstaLove. Because, come on.
2) Shameless abuse of the love triangle. This can be excellent when done well (Les Misérables—Marius, Cosette, Eponine; The F Word, AKA What If—Wallace, Chantry, Ben), but completely annoying when done wrong.
3) Gratuitous or graphic sex. This adds nothing to the story at all and can be offensive.
4) Unnecessary and transparent relationship obstacles that serve only to continue the plot. This is more prevalent in series. And is super annoying.
5) Unrealistically happy relationships. Like, their relationship is perfect. Like, come on.
1) A good meet cute.
2) A slow burn. Tension, baby!
3) Humour—I don’t like it when the characters take themselves too seriously. I’m more of a RomCom person (unless there is like some sort of Epic Fantasy element because that’s awesome).
4) When they become friends first! (Although this is not mandatory)
5) I’m also a sucker for a bit of danger!
What do you like and dislike when it comes to love in books?
Beth is the founder and editor of Fuelled by Fiction. She is a twenty-something east coast Canadian girl who loves writing about books and feminism.