I was book shopping yesterday (surprise surprise, I know), and contemplating deep, philosophical ideas. Like, do I like hardcovers or paperbacks better? There are some definite pros and cons to both, you know?
- They are cheaper. (Save those dollah-dollah bills y’all!)
- They are lighter. (No bloody noses if you drop ‘em on your face!)
- They are more likely to fit in your purse (Because I gotta have a book with me at all times)
- Their spines break easier (especially mass market ones)
- They get beat up overall easier (worn edges, anyone?)
- They are sturdy, and thus last longer.
- Dusk jackets are nice and protective (and the edges can double as a book mark!)
- They look really nice on book shelves.
- For some reason they are cheaper at Value Village (second hand store)
- They are pretty heavy. Especially if the book is long.
- Brand new they are hella expensive (though YA and kids ones are less)
- They are chunky (they don’t fit in all my bags!)
So… I’m torn. I think I prefer to read paperbacks, but I’d rather own a hardcover. Especially if it is a book that’s a favourite. They just look better and last longer!
What about you? Which do you prefer?