Sorry for my silence! I went on Holiday Hiatus and I guess I never mentioned that. So, sorry! Right now I am in the process of editing my second booktube video! It’s my December book haul! You can find the link to my channel in the sidebar!
As the the year winds down—we’re on the final stretch now!—everyone is posting about their favourites of 2014 and their reading/blogging resolutions for 2015. I thought, what the heck, and am going to jump on that bandwagon!
I thought a good way to sum everything up would be to participate in the Perpetual Page-Turner’s end of year survey! Later in the week I will tell you about my reading resolutions and the challenges I will be participating in, as well as my blogging resolutions!
2014 Reading Stats:
Number Of Books You Read: According to Goodreads, 75! I’ve beat my challenge by 5 books!
Number of Re-Reads: I think probably zero.
Genre You Read The Most From: That is a really tough call. I read a wide range of genres. I think probably just General Fiction or Thriller?
Best in Books
1. Best Book You Read In 2014?
My favourite was Elizabeth Is Missing by Emma Healey.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
The Good Girl by Mary Kubica. It was supposed to be a thriller but it was not thrilling at all.
3. Most surprising (in a good way or bad way) book you read in 2014?
I was recommended Wild by Cheryl Strayed and honestly didn’t want to read it. I didn’t like non-fiction and I’d heard that there were some rough bits in the book. I ended up loving it (despite the rough bits) and found that I actually love memoirs.
4. Book You “Pushed” The Most People To Read (And They Did) In 2014?
I always push books on people and I don’t think many people actually read them… Since I push so many… However, I did a book tour for The Ghost Bride by Yangsze Choo in the summer and a couple people read that one!
5. Best series you started in 2014? Best Sequel of 2014? Best Series Ender of 2014?
I don’t read many series. I prefer stand alones because they take less commitment and often pack more punch. There were a few series starters that I read and enjoyed this year. I think my favourite was The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johanson. I only read a couple of sequels this year. So, I’d say my favourite was Shopaholic Takes Manhattan by Sophie Kinsella. I only ended one series this year. It was pretty awesome though! The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest (Millenium 3) by Stieg Larsson.
6. Favourite new author you discovered in 2014?
7. Best book from a genre you don’t typically read/was out of your comfort zone?
Before this year I didn’t typically read comics. I’ve read several this year and have been loving it! My favourite was Ms Marvel!
8. Most action-packed/thrilling/unputdownable book of the year?
Probably Before I Go To Sleep by SJ Watson.
9. Book You Read In 2014 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
Zero things. But if I were much of a rereader, The Rise & Fall of Great Powers would be up there.
10. Favourite cover of a book you read in 2014?
Probably The Ghost Bride by Yangtze Choo.
11. Most memorable character of 2014?
Humphrey from The Rise & Fall of Great Powers! He is such a complex and eccentric character.
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2014?
We Were Liars by E Lockhart. While this wasn’t my favourite book for several reasons (mainly plot and lack of character development), the writing was amazing. Stunning. Marvellous.
13. Most Thought-Provoking/ Life-Changing Book of 2014?
I’m not sure that any of the books I read this year were life changing, but I did read some thought provoking ones. One of the most though provoking books I read was The Girl With All the Gifts by MR Carey.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2014 to finally read?
The Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella.
15. Favourite Passage/Quote From A Book You Read In 2014?
So many. I love quotes. Here’s a good one from Glory O’Brien’s History of the Future by AS King:
“Did all outcasts come to this realization at a certain point in life? That being an outcast from a bogus and pornographic society actually was a good thing? I hoped so. I hoped there was an army of us out there, smiling about it at that very moment.”
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
Shortest: Ms Marvel (120 pgs); Longest: Dragonfly in Amber (743 pgs)
17. Book That Shocked You The Most
Follow Me Down by Tanya Byrne. At the end I was like Whaaa….. ?!
18. OTP OF THE YEAR (OTP = one true pairing)
I don’t know. I didn’t even know what this meant haha. I’d say Adam and Mia from the If I Stay duology. I really like them.
19. Favorite Non-Romantic Relationship Of The Year
Humphrey and Tooly in The Rise & Fall of Great Powers.
20. Favorite Book You Read in 2014 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
Probably The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet’s Nest by Steig Larsson.
21. Best Book You Read In 2014 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else/Peer Pressure:
I would never have picked up Glory O’Brien’s History of the Future if it hadn’t been recommended by Book Riot and the Bookrageous podcast. I hadn’t even heard of AS King previously (I’m not huge into YA).
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2014?
Probably Adam from If I Stay.
23. Best 2014 debut you read?
Elizabeth is Missing by Emma Healey!
24. Best World building/Most Vivid Setting You Read This Year?
Probably The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen.
25. Book That Put A Smile On Your Face/Was The Most FUN To Read?
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2014?
A few! Most recently I teared up while listening to the audiobook of Where She Went by Gayle Forman.
27. Hidden Gem Of The Year?
Ghost Horse by Thomas McNeely or Follow Me Down by Tanya Byrne.
28. Book That Crushed Your Soul?
Philomena by Martin Sixsmith (even though some of its credibility is dubious). This was made into a film. I saw the film first. It’s a true story (though the details in the book are arguable). It’s so sad…
29. Most Unique Book You Read In 2014?
I would probably say The Ghost Bride by Yangsze Choo.
30. Book That Made You The Most Mad (doesn’t necessarily mean you didn’t like it)?
Right now I can’t think of any that made me mad…
My Blogging/Bookish Life
1. New favourite book blog you discovered in 2014?
Any blog I like I discovered in 2014! Cause I’m a newbie to this world! I really like River City Reading and Jorie Loves a Story.
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2014?
Ghost Horse by Thomas McNeely. Because the author commented and told me that my review was thoughtful 😀 And it was fun to write.
3. Best discussion/non-review post you had on your blog?
Adventures of a Book Blogging Newbie: IS ANYBODY OUT THERE? It was fun to write and lots of people responded!
4. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
I haven’t participated in many things, but I am planning to in 2015! But I really have enjoyed participating in Book Tours with TLC.
5. Best moment of bookish/blogging life in 2014?
When bloggers whose blogs I love commented on some of my posts 🙂
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
My first Arrivals&Departures Post (I.E. My monthly wrap up).
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
All of them… But I’m only a newbie! It will come (hopefully)!
9. Best bookish discovery (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Book Riot! I love that website.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I didn’t know there were so many challenges out there! I participated in the the Goodreads challenge and challenged myself to read 50 books. I passed that at the end of the summer and upped it to 70. I made it to 75!
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2014 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2015?
So many. Probably Station Eleven.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2015 (non-debut)?
Honestly, I haven’t looked ahead much to what is coming out… I am on the book tour for Kimberly’s McCreight’s upcoming release (she is the author of Reconstructing Amelia) and I am really looking forward to that.
3. 2015 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
4. Series Ending/A Sequel You Are Most Anticipating in 2015?
I am really looking forward to the sequel to The Queen of the Tearling.
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging Life In 2015?
There are so many things. In my reading life I want to read more diversely. In my blogging life I want to be more consistent in all things.
6. A 2015 Release You’ve Already Read & Recommend To Everyone:
I recently read One Step Too Far by Tina Seskis and enjoyed it. It has already been released in the UK but it is coming out at the end of January in North America. (PS check back for the tour!)
How about you? Would any of your books be the same as mine?
If you’ve participated in this survey, link me in the comments!